EVRAZ employees participate in activities to address environmental issues included planting of trees and shrubs. More than 700 seedlings are planted annually, some trees and shrubs are preserved from open-pit mining sites as part of the “Second Life for Trees” campaign.
EVRAZ also participated in the following events:
- EVRAZ supported the international “Earth Hour” initiative.
- The “Green City” project was implemented to draw green spaces on an interactive map.
- An agile team at EVRAZ ZSMK developed effective measures to reduce the negative impact on the wastewater disposal system of the plant and the Vodokanal network.
- EVRAZ environmentalists also perform educational activities, organize environmental lessons in schools.
EVRAZ planted 757,000 trees in 2021 as part of its strategy, 99% of those were contributed by KGOK, which restored almost 250 hectares of forest in the Sverdlovsk region. As a result, around 750,000 conifers were planted.
Environmental conferences and forums
- International forum “Clean Country”, during which EVRAZ outlined ambitious plans for the development of environmental projects at its core entities – EVRAZ NTMK and EVRAZ ZSMK.
- At the “Green Living Room” annual environmental forum, the Company`s strategy for reducing greenhouse gas emissions was presented.
- “Points of Growth” session on the topic “Green Steel”.
- III International Forum "Ecology of Mining, Metallurgy, and Oil Production – 2021" covered the visits to various debate platforms and trips to the Chelyabinsk Pipe Rolling Plant.
- IV Siberian Ecological Forum as well as a round table discussion on the Federal Clean Air Project's execution. EVRAZ ZSMK received two letters of appreciation under the forum.
ESG media coverage
- EVRAZ has enhanced the newsflow and the media coverage of its ESG activities and programmes addressing both global and local agenda.
- A bi-weekly ESG communications workshop has been organised, headed by VPs for corporate communications and HSE.
- The Company’s new environmental strategy – 2030 is thoroughly pitched with leading media.
- EVRAZ collaborated with Forbes Russia to create a vivid online project “Industry of the Future” on the Company’s sustainable development.
- EVRAZ’s news from SPIEF 2021, the main international investment forum in Russia, were focused on the low-carbon agenda, “green” steel development and environment-friendly technologies.
- Federal and local authorities visited the Company’s sites to witness progress in the EVRAZ’s environmental activity.